Overall description of the stakeholder
The population of Suwon is 1,242,987, and its land size is 121.05km2. Suwon is the capital city of Gyeonggi Province. Fort its administrative zones, Suwon has four administrative districts and 43 sub-districts, and, its administrative organization consists of two headquarters, seven bureaus, five direct institutions, and nine centers, with an employment of 3,234 public employees. Its 2018 budget was 2 trillion, 729.2 billion won. Policy development and execution with respect to climate action are done by Environment Bureau (Environment Policy Division, Climate and Air Division, etc.) and Safety & Transportation Bureau (Ecomobility Division).
In September 2011, Suwon declared itself as “Capital City of Environment, Suwon” and has since strived to develop its climate policies and bold climate actions in the manner that expands the participation of citizens, setting the goal of “reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 40% (from 2005) by the year 2030.” To attain the goal of greenhouse gas emissions reduction and to solidify its status as an “international environmental capital” by completing a “leading environmental city, Suwon” from 2021 until 2030, the Suwon City Government committed itself to eight-point strategies as follows, executing related strategic tasks: building a leading water-recycling natural eco city; environment-friendly energy self-sufficient city; preemptive greenhouse gas reduction in keeping with international trend; waste reduction and resource recycling system establishment; air quality improvement with low-carbon green transport system; sustainable city space creation; urban environmental healing system; and environmental education infrastructure establishment. In particular, Suwon is sharing and spreading the experience and lessons from the successful “EcoMobility World Festival Suwon,” hosted with active participation of residents realizing a car-free village for a full month in 2013, at home and abroad.
Activities in the field of climate action
Envisioning to be the best, sustainable environmental city, Suwon City set five-point implementation goals per field, one of which is to become environment-friendly, low-carbon, green city. To achieve this specific goal, the City is making proactive moves in response to a new climate change regime, operating a system of ultra-fine dust emission target management, improving citizens-oriented living environment, enhancing the efficiency of energy conservation and sharing, and expanding and distributing safe green energy. Furthermore, for energy management index, the City aims to reduce per-capita energy consumption from 2.1 toe per person in 2013 to 1.56 toe by 2025, and increase the distribution rate of renewable energy from less than 1% in 2013 to 4.3% by 2025. Detailed activities include the following:
- Building eco city fundamentals (resource recycling): reducing “discharge-stage” household wastes and increasing food-waste recycling facilities
- Building environment-friendly energy city
- Strengthening climate actions and measures
- Making the city energy self-sufficient
- Increasing distribution of electric vehicles and building recharge infrastructure; limiting the operation of old diesel cars, supporting their pollution reduction measures, and strengthening the monitoring of business sites with large emissions.
- Building environment-friendly transport system
- Human-oriented road policy and pedestrian environment
- Increased bicycle use (expanding shared bicycles, installation of electric bicycle charging stations, etc.)
- Implementing a private-public collaboration project of car sharing
Knowledge and experience, including overall preparations, of “EcoMobility World Festival 2013 Suwon” can be shared, including planning, organizing committee founding, building of fundamental facilities, and cooperation processes. Details include the following:
- Founding of organizations and private-public governance for the Festival, including organizing committee, secretariat, citizens’ preparatory council, supporters, etc.
- Ecomobile pilot area building (human-oriented pedestrian space and urban infrastructure improvement)
- Persuasion of residents and prior cooperation process
- Ecomobile vehicle exhibition
- Related events including international forum
Knowledge sharing is possible through visits to ecomobile village and education programs at experience hall. Online communications and offline exchanges such as seminars and policy dialogues may also be reviewed.
Follow-up projects after “EcoMobility World Festival 2013 Suwon” may be explored for cooperation, and forming and expanding networks can be reviewed. Detailed discussion and cooperation type may be reviewed on a potential partner basis.
- Operation of ecomobile community center, alley museum, and ecomobile youth experience school.
- “Suwon-type car-free day” public contest project
- 5th-year anniversary EcoMobility World Festival Suwon Reminder Festival
 Source: Suwon City Government homepage
 Source of information, except population, is White Paper of sixth elected Mayor (published on June 30, 2018).