Overall description of the stakeholder
Almada has been strongly engaged with its climate policies and has a long track record of initiatives developed since late 1990’s. Serving a population of 176,000 people, Almada City Council has responsibility for local environmental actions, planning and management. The Department is responsible for Energy and Environmental issues at the Municipality of Almada which means to deliver the environmental and energy policies defined by the Municipal Administration, in a perspective of sustainable and eco-efficient development, ensuring the integration of economic growth and social development, safeguarding the biophysical functions of the territory and territorial resilience. More specifically this includes streamlining the Almada Local Agenda 21 process; the Local Strategy for Climate Change (ELAC); strengthening the ecological and agricultural functions of the territory in urban plans and processes of territorial transformation; deepening the local environmental awareness and education strategy; ensuring the development of Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) processes of strategies, programs and plans; ensure the valorization of local energy resources, the application of low carbon solutions; propose and carry out studies and projects in the field of mobility, transport, traffic management, traffic, parking, urban logistics and road safety, with a view to more efficient and sustainable mobility and mobility patterns.
Activities in the field of climate action
- Specific measures are included in the Local Climate Change Strategy and Almada’s Sustainable Mobility Strategy. As an urban Council with no heavy industry, the major focus in terms of climate change impacts is on mobility and buildings sector. Initiatives such as European Mobility Week, participation forums, Green Week, Children’s Agenda 21 and the compromises towards the EU initiative Covenant of Mayors contribute towards this involvement. Almada has promoted several measures such as the implementation of the light rail system, promoting energy efficiency and renewable energies in its buildings and public lighting system and working on sustainable transport solutions.
- The municipality is also a member of several international initiatives, such as Energy-Cities, ICLEI, the Mexico City Pact, Covenant of Mayors, World Mayors Council on Climate Change, EU Mayors Adapt, Durban Chart on Adaptation, Compact of Mayors and Climate Paris Agreement. Under this agreement, the city of is committed to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 80% by 2050.
- Development of interactive platforms and platforms for stakeholder integration in the climate change planning process (adaptation and mitigation) and participation in the process of implementing the plans
- Establish partnerships between companies capitalizing on existing clusters and new project of Decarbonization Living Lab in Almada to be developed in Almada during the year 2019
- Staff exchanges and mentoring: how to adapt proven experiences to different contexts in different cities
- Technical visits to success stories in the field of sustainable transport, renewables, adaptation / vulnerabilities, participation forum / stakeholders