Overall description of the stakeholder
The City of Essen is based in the heart of the Ruhr Metropolis, which is the third biggest agglomeration in Europe, and home to 5.1 million people. This was the heartland of industry in Germany, with a long tradition of coal and steel industry as a major economic force in the region and also in the city of Essen. After several decades of transition from grey to green, Essen was awarded as the European Green Capital 2017. This is a testimony to what has been achieved in the transition phase, but also a commitment to the future.
Activities in the field of climate action
In the administration of the City of Essen several strategies stay closely connected to the tasks to prevent and handle climate change. As there are several departments different departments and utilizes involved, it is today a mayor task to coordinate actions and ensuring quality and target achievement. To handle this in a strategic unit, the so-called Green Capital Agency was formed 2018. In addition, the partners and supporters from business and citizenship are to be further networked here.
List the sectors that climate action is targeted at, along with the types of actions in them (such as Renewable Energy and energy Efficiency measures).
- Mobility Transition / Week of Mobility Sustainable mobility according to plan
- Citizens Projects
- Green Fuel Project with Innogy SE
- Bathing in the Ruhr (Secure Bathing water Quality in the River Ruhr)
- Biodiversity & Zollverein Park
- Emscherconversion – Emscher region is changing to give a new face to the urban landscape
- Krupp-Park – the reutilization of the Krupp Belt, which was closed to the people of the city for many years
- Urban quarter Essen 51 to be created with a mix of residential and working uses, health, crafts, innovative technology, local amenities, gastronomy and leisure facilities.
- RS1 Cycling Highway (Ruhr Bike Highway)
- We want to share our experiences from the transition from the industrial legacy to a green and liveable future. Essen and the Region have experienced several decades of different strategic development formats, which have based on Knowledge, Infrastructure, Culture and Environment. But the transition is not yet finished. Important tasks still need to be done, to be prepared for the future and secure quality in liveability and economic welfare.
- Share and discuss is an important way to identify sustainable and makeable solutions which fit in social need and financial budgets. Today’s most important approaches are global and networked, so we can only solve these tasks together and should try to support each other’s efforts.
- see above